When I was first getting into birth photography I had no idea what I was doing.
I remember seeing a birth article with gorgeous birth images in it and knew that it was something I had to try. I would research birth photography on the internet from time to time only to find blog posts of birth stories. Which, was great since it kept that little spark of interest lit…but it didn’t help provide me with any information on what to do or how to get into birth photography. There was no book, or guide. No workshop to take. Birth photography was still such a new niche at the time and, for the most part, all of us birth photographers were left figuring it out on our own.
Over the next couple of years I began to learn from experience and good old trial & error.
As I gained experience as a birth photographer, not only did my passion for birth stories grow, but my love and dedication for mothers and the overall birth experience flourished. The two quickly became one in my eyes. Being there to document mom’s journey meant (and continue to means) so much more than the beautiful images I am able to capture as a photographer. While understanding all of the details and how to shoot a birth is necessary to being a birth photographer, being compassionate for mom and adding to her over all birth experience is just as important.
At the beginning of this year, Erin and Lisa (the fabulous women behind The Milky Way) had the idea to create a Birth Photography Guide to help photographers who are looking to get into birth photography. Excited about the idea, I teamed up with them and began brainstorming about how I could help photographers on their journey to documenting births.
After months of hard work I am THRILLED to say that the Birth Photography Guide is ready!
In this e-guide I open up about everything I know as a birth photographer.
Here’s a look at what’s included:
- The Why
- The Process of Birth
- My complete “A-Z” of birth stories
– from booking a session to final delivery of images
- Challenges of Birth Photography
- Being on Call
- Working with a Back-up Photographer
- Tough Lighting Situations
- Caesarean Births
- When the Unplanned Happens
- Recommended Gear
- Shooting Tips
- My Editing Workflow (Lightroom) + Slideshow Tips
- Contract Considerations
- Pricing tips (+ Mistakes to Avoid!)
- an interactive “Birth Story Inspiration Guide”
- My shot list ‘cheat sheet’
- Client Questionnaire (what you should ask during your consult)
- a customizable Client Welcome guide (.psd files supplied so you can tailor to your branding and session options)
Have more questions about this e-guide? Head on over to The Milk Way to review the FAQs!